My Harley Davidson Touring Blog

.



Friday 30 July 2010

WW1 Battlefields

In March of 1918, my fathers elder brother was killed in Amiens. A member of the Royal Irish rifles, Patrick was 22 years older than my father and had made the rank of Serjeant (correct sp) at the age of 26. My father was very proud of the brother he never really knew and had always wanted to visit the memorial, for no body was ever recovered and therfore there was no grave.. My father died in 2004 at the age of ninety without fulfilling his wish, so I would like to do it for him made by visiting the war graves and memorial at Pozieres.
H and I have therefore decided to do a short WW1 Battlefield tour in September.
Of all the journey's I have completed, I think this might be one of the most poignant.

No comments:

Post a Comment