My Harley Davidson Touring Blog

.



Thursday 17 June 2010



April 6
Two pairs of socks, Harley boots, one-piece thermal suit, long-sleeve shirt, long sleeve fleece, padded lining for trousers, armoured 2-piece textile jacket and trousers, Harley neck-tube, Harley soft-leather gloves and my Caberg helmet. If I'd worn the equivalent of that when I first started riding, I'm fairly sure I wouldn't have been able to stand up. Clothing today however is light and efficient and although it sounds a lot, I didn't feel uncomfortable. The weather overnight had improved and while the roads were damp and sky overcast, the temperature was 10c so as I started the bike at 11:30am, I felt that this first leg to
the Eurotunnel would be in reasonable weather. Having lashed my fully loaded Rigg Pak to the sissy-bar and said my goodbyes to a tearful (not) family, I started the Road King Classic, slipped the clutch and headed for the A14. Almost immediately, "Tim" the chosen voice on my Tom-Tom, came through loud and clear on the Scala earpieces giving the first of many instructions on this trip to Spain.
I'd decided that an investment in a GPS would be a good idea and after some research, I purchased a Tom-Tom Rider V2 with a Scala earpiece. They've designed this for motorcyclists and as such, it does a reasonably good job. I tested the unit on a run to Black Bear in Newmarket where I get the bike serviced. Once you've used technology from Apple, such as that with the iphone, you tend to expect every other piece of electronics to operate in a similar fashion - ie completely intuitively. Well, the Tom-Tom is not like that. It's not that difficult to master but I did have to refer to the manual for the first few times. The website that can be linked to is really not up to standard. Tom-Tom need to get some interface technologists working on it because currently, it has all the user friendliness of a cornered rat, as incidentally, does their "customer service". My advice? If you have any problems, go straight to Google and one of the many internet forums for the product will sort you out far quicker.
Once you have managed to turn the unit on using the rather strange and non-tactile, on-off button, the main map display is excellent. Some of the ancillary infomation, such as time/distance left on the journey, is quite small and initially was hard to locate but as with all technology, you start to get used to it after a while. I was wearing my full-face Caberg for the journey so the Scala headset and mouthpiece all fitted comfortably. With earplugs, I had the unit turned up to full volume and with the male voice set on "Tim", I had no problems with listening to directions or hearing incoming phone calls. After a bit of practice, I was able to set the Tom-Tom to Bluetooth both the Scala and my iphone without difficulty. After getting the hang of the route planning/itinerary set-up screens and the various options allowed, the unit really does work simply and efficiently in normal operation. Just slot it onto the handlebar carrier, press your pre-planned destination and off you go. Tom-Tom will transfer your phone address book into its memory and you can then dial numbers by using the touch screen. However, while the unit will allow you to take calls (again by tapping the screen) on the move, it won't allow you to make them although if say, you are stopped at traffic lights, you can push the number you want on the screen and then carry on the call as you move off. I guess it's up to the individual rider to decide whether being on a phone call while riding is a good idea. Overall, nothwithstanding the problems previously mentioned and a limited "gloved hand" operation, I'd give the unit 8 out of 10 and certainly wouldn't be without it on a long journey.
Traffic on the southbound A12 was light and both the damp road and sky were clearing. The bike was purring along at a steady 60 but I noticed that I was getting a lot of wind noise and vibration around my helmet. This was to plague me for the whole of the trip and I think it is to do with the height of the windscreen, the fact that the Scala unit sticks out of the bottom of the helmet and possibly, some back turbulence from the Rigg Pak luggage. As I would find out in Spain, when I was wearing a half-face helmet with no luggage, the problem reduced considerably. The earplugs I was using were not doing a proper job either. They were plastic rather than foam and I could feel them slipping out of my ear as I was travelling. Deciding that I'd sort it all out later, I peeled off the A12 and onto the M25. Interestingly, as I turned east the wind direction shifted and the vibration and noise diminished to a point where I didn't really notice it after a while. Apart from a distinct chilly draught on the shin of my left leg, I was comfortable and enjoying the ride. As with most Harleys, the King Classic does not exatly sip fuel and a five gallon tank means frequent visits to the pump so I pulled into Thurrock services to fill up and get a coffee. So now some of the major questions of motorbiking life arise. Do I drink the coffee quickly in the shop while the bike is on the pump or do I move the bike and come back and pay separately for the coffee? Nah, pay for both, wrap the cup in napkins, shove down the front of my jacket and pray it dosen't pop as I make the 50 yard dash to a parking space. I could travel the world, win money on the premium bonds but at that moment, leaning back on bike with a coffee and watching all the busy people go past in their trucks and cars, I get an extraordinary feeling of happiness and wellbeing.
Starting up again is a process. Check trouser lining is pulled down, put in earplugs, pull up neck tube, strap on helmet, check all pockets zipped, pull on gloves. Sounds daft but life is easier when I do it properly. In the distance, I could make out four towers reaching into the sky and shortly, I approced the Dartfor crossing. I enjoy going over the Dartford Bridge (or through the tunnel) on a bike. There is something immensely satisfying about not having to pay the charge! Turning onto the M20 at Swanley, I now started the last leg of the UK side of the journey down to Folkestone and about an hour later, I pulled up to the Eurotunnel check-in. It is impossible to ride a bike in a queue with documents in your hand so it was at this point, I was very glad that I had bought a simple piece of kit. A textile, zipped pouch which I put round my neck and pulled out when necessary. In here went passport, etickets and boarding pass. Another tip is to undo the strap of your helmet as various officialdom will want to look at your mug as you pass through the checkpoints. In the event, I was through very quickly. On a bike, it pays to keep a good lookout for the electronic boarding signs as it is nearly impossible to hear the PA system which calls motorists to the trains if you have the engine on and earplugs in. I was nearly caught out because I had arrived at 2.45pm, my train was due to go at 3:30pm but I had actually been give a ticket for the 15:00. I only noticed this after I had stopped and glanced at my boarding card. Starting up again, I headed for the train and realised from the hurry up waves that I was the last on. "Making progress", I freewheeled down the ramp and onto the train. The train was seemed empty and I guess I must have ridden through four carriages before I slowed to a stop and that was it. The interior doors closed there I was, all on my own. The carriage in front was empty as was the one behind and I neither heard or saw anyone until I disembarked at Calais.

2 comments:

  1. Just done the trip myself Juneau, thanks for the travel info. We were only going to Calais but the clothing details helped enormously!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Glad to hear that petem234 and apologies for the delay in responding. I'm afraid I'm a fair weather rider these days so the King has been tucked up for winter. Anyway, on with 2011!

    ReplyDelete